Sunday, January 6, 2008

Where to begin?

With so many recipes and advice out there it was difficult to know where to start. Do I use eggs? Is the base cooked? Am I using the right milk? So my trials begin. I figured the most important question to start with was what kind? So since Mint Chocloate Chip is my ultimate favorite I tried a similar Peppermint Chocolate...Yum. I searched through some recipes, got my KitchenAid set up, and got started. I quickly learn that making the ice cream is really not that difficult, its having the patience with the whole process. No you don't mix cream and put in a machine and you have yummy ice cream. Its 24 painful hours until you actually get to enjoy your dish. So I followed the recipe to a T, slowly boiling my ingredients, slow whisking it into the egg yolks, and then once again slowly bringing it all to a boil. I did read that its important to "slowly" heat the ingredients so I patiently created my concoction. The final verdict of my first ever batch of ice cream...consistency was almost perfect being creamy and smooth and the flavor was great but a little too much peppermint extract(mouthwash aftertaste got to be too much!). Only challenge I found was that it did not freeze very hard. It stayed somewhat soft so I will work on perfecting the solidifying process. My first attempt is a success and motivates me to make more. Here is the recipe I followed.




Peppermint Chocolate Ice Cream
2 1/4 c heavy cream
3/4 c whole milk
1 c sugar
4 large egg yolks
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp peppermint extract (I used more...and it was too much)
peppermint bark chocolate chunks


Heat cream, milk, 1/2 c. sugar, and peppermint extract over medium heat to almost simmering and set aside. In bowl whisk yolks, 1/2 c. sugar and salt. Slowly pour hot liquid into yolk mixture whisking as its poured. Return mixture to pan and heat on low stirring consistently until lightly simmering along edges(do not boil). Cool for at least 4 hours in fridge. Then churn is machine according to directions. Add peppermint chocolate 5 minutes prior to end of churning. Made about 1 1/2 pints(maybe a little more).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails