Saturday, July 26, 2008

Summertime Pina Colada Ice Cream

If you love Pina Coladas and gettin' caught in the rain...! I can't even believe summer is halfway over and I have yet to have an actual Pina Colada so I'll settle for second best. But its second only because its sans alcohol! I actually am not a huge fan of coconut but something about a Pina Colada doesn't bother me. I actually like the taste. I think its because I don't like the texture of shaved coconut but I enjoy the flavor so when it's in ice cream (or the drink) you lose that texture issue. It becomes a refreshing summertime favorite. I bet too you could replace the flavoring with actual rum. It may not reeze so well if you put too much in though so try the flavoring first. Enjoy!

Pina Colada Ice Cream
1 (12 oz.) can crushed pineapple
1 pkg. frozen coconut (thawed)
1 qt. half and half
1 pt. whipping cream
1 can Eagle Brand evaporated milk
4 eggs, beaten well
2 C. sugar
2 t. rum flavoring

Place 4 egg yolks in a bowl, whisk together, and set aside. Place heavy cream and coconut in a large bowl and set aside.

Heat the evaporated milk, half & half, and sugar over med heat. Heat thoroughly but do not boil. Slowly add the warmed milk mixture to the egg yolks, stirring constantly. Pour the warmed milk/yolk mixture back into the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the custard base coats the back of a spatula. Strain this hot custard base into the heavy cream and add rum flavoring.

Place in refrigerator for at least four hours. Freeze according to the manufacturers instructions.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails