Saturday, September 12, 2009

Spice Dish Saturday {September}: Cream Green Apple Ice Cream

Spice Dish escaped to Europe this summer, and lucky us, we get a perfect fall treat as a result! Bon Appetit!

This flavor was inspired by my recent trip to Paris. One morning for breakfast, I happened across some apple flavored yogurt. Simple, but completely divine. Unlike anything I’ve ever tasted in the US. Maybe it’s because French dairy products, are well, actually made of dairy. Not a collection of chemicals and preservatives. Whatever the reason, I was in love. I couldn’t stop thinking about that yogurt and decided I hate to recreate it at home. This is rich, creamy, speckled with vanilla and perfumed with a hint of tart, green apple. Enjoy!

Creamy Green Apple Ice Cream

1 lb tart green apples
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
¾ cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1 vanilla bean (split lengthwise)

With a cheese grater, shred apples (including the peel) into a medium saucepan. Stir in lemon juice. Pour 1 cup of the cream into the pan. Add sugar & salt. Stir. Scrape the seeds out of the vanilla bean and add to the mixture. Then drop the bean in. Warm the mixture until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and add rest of cream and milk. Let steep, covered, for one hour. Strain into large bowl and chill completely. Churn in your mixer. For a caramel apple effect, top with a creamy caramel sauce.

Thanks, EB!

3 comments:

Lindsay & Keith said...

This ice cream sounds great! I can't wait to go buy some apples and try it!

Alison said...

This is really random, but I had a dream last night that I worked at an ice cream shop, and we had green apple ice cream. I had never heard of or tried apple ice cream before. So I googled it today, and here it is! I will be making this when autumn rolls around, and topping it with homemade caramel sauce.

*Cheesy alert!!* Thanks for providing me with the recipe of my dreams :)

greenappleluver! said...

I LOVE GREEN APPLES! so today i went to our new ice cream parlor and then i finished it and started eating green apple flavored gum..... so then i strted thinking ...... do they make green apple flavored ice cream? so i googled it and NOW I AM HAPPY!!! :D THNK YOU WHO EVER MADE THIS PAGE!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails