Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Ice Cream Theory, Read and Reviewed

So I did it. Just like I said I would. I read The Ice Cream Theory from cover to cover as promised on my November vacation. Then of course, I delayed in posting, because I seem not to be able to finish things lately. Steff's book is the ice cream version of Candy and Me by Hilary Liftin. For a sweet lover, both books are worth the read!

Timely or not, this review falls nicely after Tina's post about the Which Flavor Are You? Quiz. Steff's takes the ice cream personality to a deeper, quirkier, and wonderfully anecdotal story for the ice cream lover.

This was definitely a quick and engaging read. Steff Deschenes seems to have a passion for ice cream that seems to be only paralleled by Scoopalicious! Ha! Steff is an ice cream fanatic who successfully uses ice cream as a metaphor of her relationships. The Ice Cream Theory is part memoir, part analysis of human nature.

[On a side note, this book also holds a special personal meaning. Back in December 2006, I was talking with my family and realized out of the five of us, I wasn't keeping a list of books I had read. It occurred to me that this was a good idea for a couple of reasons: 1. It is quite an accomplishment to look back on the list 2. I don't have the best memory. I could practically read a book twice and not remember it. So here we are, three years later, and I have finished book 100 since I started the list, and that book is The Ice Cream Theory.]

I loved the Pistachio chapter. I thought that the relationship between Deschenes and her grandfather was absolutely -- shoot, I can't even come up with the right word for it. It wasn't precious or endearing -- that's too belittling. It wasn't wonderful. That doesn't say enough. It was special, but so much more. I might have to say it in more words than one, which I guess I just covered.

Not such a fan of the Chocolate Raspberry Truffle chapter. I love ice cream. Love it. Yes, I know we are human and therefore do things like vomit once in a while, but I do not need to have it in the same sentence as ice cream. I just don't. And look. Now I did it myself, put the two in the same sentence. Sorry.

One complaint is I would love to know the ice cream places and ice cream brands she raves about. As I sat reading about the ice creams she absolutely adored, I wanted to know where to find them.

However, though a directory of ice cream places wasn't included in the end of the book, I found some solace by visiting The Ice Cream Theory website. There you can see the charming Steff give video reviews of some ice cream places on location! To celebrate the release of her book, she visits all ten ice cream places in her town! Ten ice cream spots in town? I need to move there!

Also, Portland, Maine fans can listen live to an interview with Steff this Tuesday, April 6th at 8 in the morning on the Q Morning Show (that's WJBQ 97.9). For those of you not in Portland's broadcast area, you can listen live via the web! Late reading this post and April 6th has come and gone? Not to worry! Visit the website to listen to a podcast!

With six nominations/wins to it's name, numerous positive reviews (see here for them all), The Ice Cream Theory is not to be missed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails