Monday, July 25, 2011

Grape Ice Cream FAIL

Someone once suggested I make grape ice cream. I did some research but was hard pressed to find recipes. I read somewhere that the reason it's hard to find good recipes is that natural grape, when used in recipes, isn't so much a flavor as a sweetener. It kind of makes sense, seeing as a lot of recipes that avoid sugar use grape juice as a sweetener.

I did try to make grape ice cream -- though I don't recall it very well -- which goes to saying that it wasn't that memorable -- I think I used grape juice concentrate and it came out very mildly flavored and pretty sweet.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Homemade Ice CreamWhen I came across a recipe in The Complete Idiot's Guide to Homemade Ice Cream for grape ice cream, I had to try it. I had to remember to half the recipe, since the recipes are always at least two times the amount that will fit in my ice cream maker. I don't know if I messed up on the conversion or the translation of tablespoons of gelatin to packets of gelatin, but the ice cream didn't work out. Go me, failing at a recipe in a complete idiot's guide!

I hate throwing stuff away, but this ice cream was too "chewy" and chunky -- it actually had clumps of gelatin in it! In fact, when I took it out of the bowl to put it into the ice cream machine, it was actually pretty solid -- kind of like a grape mouse.

Either way, I'll have to try this one again. Or should I? Have I not learned my lesson about gelatin and ice cream?


[Scoopalicious is celebrating National Ice Cream month with a Post-A-Day throughout the month of July!]

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails