Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ice Cream Bread: Part Two

Back in February I posted about ice cream bread. It's now July and you probably want to be eating ice cream, not turning on the oven and making bread with it -- well, you can file this one for later.

Using Friendly's Fudge Berry Swirl Frozen Yogurt. (I wanted to use Cherry Garcia*, but the store didn't have any, so I tried something somewhat similar.) I tried the recipe as is (equal parts ice cream and self rising flour) but I found it a bit dense -- more like a scone. I thought maybe it was the frozen yogurt that made it dense, but it looks like even the photos on the original post came out very scone-y looking.

I decided I wanted to try something a bit different the next time I made it. Using the same frozen yogurt I had used to make the scone-y ice cream bread, I tried again and made it this time with 4 parts melted ice cream (um, in my case, frozen yogurt) and 3 parts self-rising flour, baked it at 350° for about 30 minutes as suggested...much better. It rose better and was much moister.

So easy peasy. Just to reiterate...Preheat oven to 350°. Mix together 4 parts melted ice cream with 3 parts self-rising flour. Add add-ins if desired (see below). Place in a greased bread pan. Bake for 30 minutes (or until the toothpick inserted in center comes out clean).

I'd say with all those rich ingredients, it might be considered a cake, so...

A few days later, I made it for company. I used vanilla ice cream and added some cut up strawberries and some chocolate chunks. I frosted it with some extra cream cheese frosting I had left over from the red velvet cupcakes. So good. Everyone loved it. (Thanks for the photo, Jenn and Curtis!)

Thanks for the easy and yummy recipe, Bindlestiff.

*On an unrelated note, while I was looking to link to Cherry Garcia, I am came across these yummy looking cupcakes.


[Scoopalicious is celebrating National Ice Cream month with a Post-A-Day throughout the month of July!]

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails