Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Ultimate Frozen Dessert Book

The Ultimate Ice Cream Book: Over 500 Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, Drinks, And MoreAnyone who reads this somewhat regularly knows I am a huge fan of Bruce Weinstein's book, The Ultimate Ice Cream Book. It's my go-to ice cream making book, my bible of ice cream making, the only book I have ever had to have rebound from so much use.

Last year, after finding out on their Harper Collins bio that Bruce Weinstein and co-author Mark Scarbrough live in the small county in Connecticut where my mother grew up, I emailed them just to say hi and let them know what a big fan I am.

The Ultimate Frozen Dessert Book : A Complete Guide to Gelato, Sherbert, Granita, and Semmifreddo, Plus Frozen Cakes, Pies, Mousses, Chiffon Cakes, and ... of Ways to Customize Every Recipe to YourMark wrote back suggested I try out The Ultimate Frozen Dessert Book, which does not disappoint.

I haven't yet made too many flavors, but wow, I was blown away by their raspberry gelato recipe -- though I actually used black raspberries and admittedly a few more than the two cups the recipe called for (I told you before, my parents had an overwhelming crop of both black and red raspberries this year!) -- It was amazing. I would gladly take all of my parents raspberries and make pint after pint of this gelato.

I have also tried the marscapone gelato recipe, which was also very good, but I found myself a little disappointed since I was trying in vain to reproduce Perry's cannoli ice cream, which I still can't buy around Boston. The Ultimate Frozen Dessert marscapone gelato was very good though -- I was just hoping it would be a magical reproduction of the flavor I so desperately love.

I can't wait to make more recipes from their book. I honestly don't know why it took me so long to add it to my library.

Thanks again, Bruce and Mark...we love building our Ultimate collection (we have The Ultimate Peanut Butter Book, too) and I also have plans to get my sister your knitting book soon, too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails